Believe it or not, the Clifton Hill district was the original Niagara Falls.
The Clifton Hill district is a tourism district designated by the City of Niagara Falls, Canada. Victoria Avenue, Centre Street, and the surrounding area were named 'Clifton' beginning in 1856, but in 1881 the area was renamed the Town of Niagara Falls. Drummondville and Clifton merged in 1994 to form the City of Niagara Falls, which was founded in 1904.
A stairway was built down the bank at Table Rock in the 1820s, and the first ferry service across the lower Niagara River began. By 1827, a paved road had been constructed from the ferry landing to the top of the Canadian bank. This site became a prime location for hotel development, and the Clifton Hotel, after which Clifton Hill is named, was built there. This marked the start of the tourism industry.